Healthy Marriage Resources
Today in our family “Come, Follow Me” discussion, Lane and I shared a few of the challenges and blessings that we have experienced in our marriage. We both told our children how grateful we are for the gift of being married, and our belief that with the help of Jesus Christ and his teachings, a husband and wife who really want to and are fully committed to doing what the Savior taught can overcome the challenges that they face–together.
These are such great links to articles and videos that inspired me with regards to marriage. I just copied the following links/paragraphs from the “Come, Follow Me” support materials page for May 13-19, 2019 on the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints website. There are certainly hundreds–probably thousands–more resources on that website that support healthy marriage relationships, but these are just some really great current ones.
- “Disciples and the Defense of Marriage.” In this Ensign article, President Russell M. Nelson, then a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, discusses our responsibility to defend traditional marriage.
- “It Is Not Good for Man or Woman to Be Alone.” In this general conference address, Sheri L. Dew, former Second Counselor in the Relief Society General Presidency, offers insights on marriage, unity, and the priesthood.
- “Your Current Life, Your Future Family,” by Mindy Raye Friedman. This New Era article uses principles from the family proclamation to recommend what teens can do now to prepare for a happy marriage and family.
- “Renaissance of Marriage.” This video is an excerpt from President Henry B. Eyring’s presentation during a summit on marriage held at the Vatican.
- “Better Together: The Ultimate Team.” Watch this short video about marriage and commitment from a family facing challenges.
- “Temple Blessings.” Read a short message for children from Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles about blessings of the temple and being sealed as a family.
I think one thing I really hope our children can understand is how to problem solve. By myself, I am not always a great problem-solver. With Lane and the Lord’s help, there isn’t any problem that we have faced that we haven’t been able to figure out how to deal with. I believe that is the key: learning to rely on those people and tools that God has given to help us, with faith in the Lord to help us overcome our common obstacles.
Here are three other links to resources that can help deal with challenges in our lives: